Amex Room For Thought – meet the winners!
Over the last few months we’ve been telling you about American Express Canada’s Room For Thought initiative. The program called on talented, inspirational Canadians to submit their unique ideas with the hope that they’d be given opportunity to realize their potential and turn those ideas into reality. The ideas flowed in and you were called on to vote for the ideas that moved you.
Today American Express Canada announced the winners of the public vote. Nearly 3,200 members of the public visited the American Express Canada Facebook page to cast their votes for their favourite ‘big idea’ in the fields of Music, Community and Travel & Adventure. The winners are:
Music: Ghost II
- Andrew Huang, from Toronto, will be working with Emily Haines, lead singer of Metric to create an installation called Ghost II that will allow members of the public to interact with music through technology and a variety of instruments
- “Ghost II is an innovative and exciting idea that looks at music in a new way, and is something that has clearly captured the imaginations of voters. I’m looking forward to working with Andrew to bring the concept to the next level,” – Emily Haines
Community: Survivor Garden
- Lisa Shanker, from Thornhill, Ont., will be working with Marc and Craig Kielburger of Free the Children to create a Survivor Garden for people recovering from cancer and other serious illnesses
- “It’s inspiring to us that such a heartfelt idea has been selected by the public. The concept of building a space where people can nurture themselves through gardening is one that no doubt will make a big difference in the community,” –Craig Kielburger
Travel and Adventure: Second Chance Travel Co-op
- Evan Malach, from Toronto will be working with Survivorman Les Stroud to give underprivileged youth the chance to travel the world to bring his idea, Second Chance Travel Co-op, to life.
- “The travel category had some fantastic submissions, but the idea of the Second Chance Travel Co-op really clicked with voters. I think that Evan has an opportunity to tell a really unique story and I’m looking forward to helping him in any way I can,” said Les Stroud
The winners’ projects will be presented at the Room For Thought, located in Toronto’s Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts in November 2011. The Room For Thought venue will be free to enter and will be open from November 8th to November 22nd, with each winning idea being showcased for three days. Will you come down and have a look?
Mentors Emily, Les, Marc and Craig will now work with Evan, Andrew and Lisa to address their specific needs, such as guidance in finance, marketing or networking. The mentors will help the winners nurture and develop the existing ideas to truly realize their potential and maximize their impact.
If you’d like to follow the ideas as they grow and develop into the Room For Thought installations, the Room For Thought American Express Canada Facebook page will be updated regularly with inspirational content from each of the mentors, behind-the-scenes video of the mentoring process plus unique insights into how a simple idea can grow into something amazing.
Congratulations to Andrew, Lisa and Evan on being selected and all the best as your ideas take shape. Look forward to seeing the final product!