The overwhelming favourite, at least in North America.
1. Grey"s Anatomy is the hottest show on television
2. Everyone loves a comeback
3. He"s married, is a father, no rumours of conventional infidelity, and twins on the way
4. He has great hair
5. He plays a doctor
6. The MiniVan Majority needs a new hero
1. Patrick is *only* a TV star. Sure, he"s been in many movies but he is by no means a MOVIE STAR. George Clooney is a MOVIE STAR, and as admirable and as likeable and as cute as Patrick may be, he"s no Clooney, and it"s highly unlikely his second wind will propel him to Clooney heights. This is especially relevant when you consider that in the last 20 years, only 3 "TV Stars" have been named as SMA - Mark Harmon and Harry Hamlin way, way, way back in the 80s and George himself in 1997. That"s 3 out of 20, and since 1997, all SMA"s have been big screen players.
2. Continuing on the thread above, Patrick"s appeal is arguably limited to North America and DVD viewers overseas. Is he a smash hit sensation in Berlin? In Sydney? Does he have an instant name/face association like the others? Consider the winners since 2000: Brad Pitt, Pierece Brosnan, Ben Affleck, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Matthew McConaughey - like it or not, they have universal brand recognition. Can you honestly say that Patrick Dempsey has the same?
3. As I said before, he"s an overwhelming favourite…maybe too much of a favourite. It"s too obvious, there would be no mystery, and Us Weekly just slapped him on their "SEXY" cover last week. I wonder how that sits with People Magazine...
Odds: 2 to 1
The race is most definitely McDreamy"s to lose, he is the one to beat... But I"m thinking it’s a dark horse year...