PEOPLE broke the news yesterday that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have left Canada and are now settled in Los Angeles. They’re apparently living now in a “secluded compound”.
“A person in their circle previously told PEOPLE that they were “looking at houses in L.A.”
“Harry is looking straight ahead at his future with his family,” another source said. “They will be spending time in California…He’s not looking back.”
Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, lives in Los Angeles. So, obviously, they’ll now be closer. Key to note that it was an American publication that had the exclusive. So for all the “reporting” about them in the UK tabloids, they were in the dark about this development, which is kind of a major one. But we’ve seen it heading this way for a while now. Last year, when five of Meghan’s friends spoke anonymously about her frustration with the British papers and the stories they were running about her relationship with her father, it was PEOPLE that had it on their cover. And, naturally, it wasn’t well received over in England – not only because Harry and Meghan were critical of the press but also because they knew they were losing out on scoops. The war between the Sussexes and the UK tabloid media has only intensified. So, obviously, criticism about the move has already started.
The timing of it isn’t great. Prince Charles revealed that he tested positive for COVID-19 two days ago and already there have been calls for Harry to go home and support his family. Instead of going home, he’s now in America, in Hollywood, with his Hollywood wife, hunkered down in what’s likely a Hollywood mansion, while England tries to contain the spread of coronavirus. “You have abandoned us for fame and frivolity!” is the accusation. If they can get on a private jet to fly from Vancouver Island to Los Angeles, you can get on a jet and fly anywhere, Harry!
So why did they give the go-ahead then for PEOPLE to run the story?
Well it happened to run just hours after Disney confirmed that Meghan narrates the upcoming Disneynature documentary Elephant which premieres on Disney Plus on April 3. It’s her first official show business gig since becoming a member of the British royal family. And I wrote yesterday that I was curious, in the immediate, about publicity and promotion. A trailer for Elephant, along with the trailer for Dolphin Reef (narrated by Natalie Portman, completely overshadowed in the announcement) was posted yesterday but does not feature Meghan’s (or Natalie’s) voice. In the coming days, I wonder if in the rollout plans, there will be a subsequent reveal as they get closer to the release date. And whether or not that has something to do with the Sussexes’ relocation.
Instead of paying Meghan’s fee for the work, Disney donated instead to Elephants Without Borders – she and Harry have both had connections to the organisation. And while there is no future deal with Disney in place, yet, because right now no one is looking at deals, the entire industry is paralysed, it’s definitely a promising first date to kick off Sussex v2.0. It’s official: the Sussexes have gone Hollywood. How long before TMZ adds their property on the bus tour?